Food Color Wheels
Color Wheel Handouts
9x9 white paper
circle templates/paper plates
red, yellow, blue tempera paint (for mixing)
card stock paper/posterboard/black constructions paper
1. Begin by asking children to draw a banana and an apple, which they will paint yellow and red. (For younger children: pre-draw fruit shapes that they may paint in)
2. Then they may paint a number of blue dots, which will represent blueberries.
3. Ask children to draw a lime, then ask what color it should be. Instruct them in mixing green from yellow and blue, so they may paint the lime green.
4. Do the same for an orange (yellow+red), and a plum or cluster of grapes (blue+red).
5. Once painted fruits have dried, cut them out.
6. Cut a circle out of card stock/black paper.
7. Beginning with primary colors, glue "fruit" around the plate according to their colour to create a color wheel
SOLs 3.4, 3.6, 3.5, 3.4