Sunday, November 21, 2010
Day 1 - We started by looking at Canopic Jars from Ancient Egypt and learned a bit of background about the 4 sons of Horus and the purpose of the jars. After the introduction, the students practiced making a head with modeling clay. They were given the choice of making one of the 4 sons of Horus or any head they chose.
Day 2 - We used Sculptamold - my first experience - to make the heads on the lids of the Pringles cans. I wish we'd used Model Magic instead. The Sculptamold was gloppy and bothered some of my students with disabilities... not to mention that it was very soft and not at all like the modeling clay they'd practiced with.
Day 3 - We papier-mached the Pringles cans and finished them with a couple of pieces of tissue paper.
Day 4 - We began by talking about hieroglyphics and Egyptian patterns. I passed out lots of examples from a Dover book on Egyptian designs, and gave each student a sheet on hieroglyphics. We then decorated our cylinders/cans with gold Sharpie paint markers, glitter glue, and regular Sharpies. We also used Tacky Glue to affix the dried Sculptamold heads on to the Pringles lids and set them aside in a separate box.
Day 5 we will paint our heads with acrylic or metallic tempera paint. I can't wait to see how they will turn out!
Posted by Mary Lou at 2:56 PM