Monday, October 11, 2010

Williamsburg Drawings


This is a project that I do with my 4th graders when they are studying Williamsburg Virginia in the classrooms. I print off one or two inch grids on drawing paper. (I have had them draw their own grids before, but have found it to be too time consuming.) I give them print outs of real people from Williamsburg history that had assorted jobs in the community. They sketch their person with the assistance of the grid for proportion. This hits many of our art SOLs for 4th grade drawing while connecting to their social studies SOLs.
We use light and dark drawing pencils, gum erasers and blending sticks. When they are finished they use gel markers to create a colorful patterned background. The black and white drawing looks great with a colorful background. The kids really like this project.

0 comments:

Post a Comment